Figuring out what to say and how to remember a friend who passed away is difficult for those in the midst of grieving. Whether you are looking for something to say at a memorial or funeral, something to say to your friend's family members, or would like inspirational and comforting words to help yourself grieve, quotes can help you find the right way to express your feelings.
Remembering a Friend Who Passed Away in Quotes
Quotes about the death of a friend can help both you and your deceased friend's family members with the grieving process. These quotes highlight the bond between friends:
- "A true friend is never truly gone. Their spirit lives on in the memories of those who loved them."
- "The bond between friends is beyond the mortal world. I can still feel [Friend's name] with me everyday, helping me make it through. S/he is by my side, and yours, forever."
- "They say friends are the family we choose. Being chosen was the greatest moment of my life and when [Friend's name] passed, it was the worst moment of my life."
- "Friendship transcends death. Memories made will never be forgotten and created a lasting impression on those they left behind. Everyone became a better person for having such a wonderful friend."
- "Saying goodbye isn't for us. Instead, I will say that I look forward to seeing my friend again, each time I am reminded of him/her through a phrase, a joke, even an article of clothing. These are the things that will keep us close despite death."
- "The best of friends know that they were loved for who they were in life and will be remembered for their heart in their death."
- "A great friend is something to be cherished, whether they remain by my side in this life or wait for me in the next."
- "Dear friends are the ones who know our hearts, our minds and choose us as their friends anyway. Even when they have passed to the next life, I still feel them encouraging me to be my best self."
- "Honoring a friend's death is truly about honoring their life. Despair over what may have been, but revel and reflect in what was."
- "Loss of a friendship through death is a cruel and cold companion. Warmth is found through fond memories, so curl up with them whenever you need to."
- "I am better for knowing you, better for loving you, better for having met you. May you be as blessed in the next life, my friend, as I was in this one by knowing you."
Short Quotes About Death of a Friend
A short quote conveys your feelings and is a good addition to a sympathy card. Add a short quote to a framed photo of your friend, too, to help you remember them and be inspired by their life. Short quotes to consider include:
- "My friend was ridiculously happy in life, so let us celebrate that life rather than weep over death."
- "A friend's death is a great sorrow for all who loved her. I mourn her friendship."
- "Walking the rest of the path of friendship alone is heartbreaking."
- "There is no greater memory than the sound of a friend's laugh. May it drown out the sound of my cries."
- "A friend in spirit, indeed. Let us remember you as you were in life."
- "Friendship is a connection that does not weaken in death but instead grows stronger for those who remember."
- "The friends who loved you in life will therefore treasure you in death."
- "Losing a friend is like losing the sibling you never had. A devastating moment that will change you forever."
- "My life was blessed through your friendship. May you find blessings in the next life, dear friend."
Quotes About Death of a Friend Who Is Gone Too Soon
Grief is often different when a friend passes away due to illness or accident. These sad quotes may help you express what you may not be able to on your own:
- "A best friend gone too soon is a tragedy. But what would have been worse is never to have met him/her. I am grateful to have been [Friend's name] friend in life and will continue to be his/her friend in death, honoring him/her in all I do."
- "Let us grieve for the bond we shared and the bonds we didn't get a chance to form yet, since you passed too soon my friend."
- ''The value of our friendship is beyond measure. I'd pay anything to have you back one more moment, for one more memory. I miss you."
- "Saying goodbye this soon feels wrong. So instead, I'll just say 'I love you' and know you are with me always."
- "When friendship leaves us through death, we feel cheated in life. Life doesn't play fair, so I vow to win the game for us both."
- "Tears fall freely over the death of my friend. Weeping for eternity would not convey the depths of my feelings of loss."
- "Friendships formed in life are broken in death. The love we shared remains unbreakable."
- "[Friend's name] once called me a 'great friend.' I miss him dearly and am honored to have called him my best friend."
- "A friend taken from life too soon is nothing but tragedy. His death affects everyone who knew and loved him. We will honor his legacy and remember him always."
- "Friends who pass to the next life are waiting for us each time we close our eyes. Each dream and memory where we meet again are magical to me."
Biblical Quotes About the Death of a Friend
Religious quotes often give comfort to faithful people in the midst of grieving. Look for sympathy Bible verses to guide you through your grief over your friend. These quotes may be appropriate, depending on the feeling you want to convey:
- "For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!" - Ezekial 18:32 (New International Version, NIV)
- "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." - Matthew 5:4 (NIV)
- "I thank my God every time I remember you." - Philippians 1:3 (NIV)
- "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever." - Psalm 73:26 (King James Version, KJV)
- "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints." - Psalm 116:15 (KJV)
- "Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God." - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (KJV)
- "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." - Luke 23:43 (KJV)
- "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." - Psalm 147:3 (English Standard Version, ESV)
- "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you."- 1 Peter 5:6-7 (ESV)
- "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." - Revelation 21:4 (ESV)