A virtual hug is a great way to show someone affection and that you're thinking of them. You can send a hug via text, messenger, social media, or email.
3 Top Ways to Give a Virtual Hug
There are three popular ways to give a hug. You can use a simple emoji, an animated, fun GIF, or a meme.
Virtual Hug GIFs
A GIF (Graphics Interchange Format) is a favored way to send a virtual hug to someone grieving over the loss of a loved one. A virtual hug is considered a causal way to show your support, concern, care, and love. This animated graphic is available in cute, funny, heart-tugging, pop-culture and movie topics and references. You have many choices for the type of virtual hug you can send to let the person know your sentiments.
Emoji for a Virtual Hug
An emoji hug features the emoji face with a happy closed eyed smile with two hands open in a hug. In 2020, the official emoji of two people hugging was approved. Many people feel this is a better representation of a virtual hug, although other people prefer the cutesy face hug.
Virtual Hug Images and Memes
Perhaps a better way to convey a more emotional and meaningful virtual hug is with a meme. You have more choices with a meme subject matter and messaging.
7 Methods With Easy Steps to Give a Virtual Hug
These seven methods for sending a virtual hug include easy, quick steps for each one. The instructions can guide you through the process and help you decide on the best way to send a virtual hug of sympathy to the bereaved.
Method One: Ways to Send a Hug Through Cellphone Text
You can send an emoji, GIF, or you can choose a hug emoji from your emoji choices.
- Tap the emoji icon.
- Scroll down to the emoji.
- Tap the emoji to insert it in the text bar.
- Tap the send icon.
Method Two: How to Send a Virtual Hug on Facebook Messenger
You have a wealth of seemingly endless choices for sending a virtual hug via Facebook messenger. You can select either a static or animated sticker to show you care and are thinking of the person grieving.
- Open and login in your Facebook account.
- Place your mouse and click on the messenger icon located in the upper righthand corner. If using a cellphone app, simply tap on the messenger icon along the top bar.
- In the search bar, type in the name of your Facebook friend you wish to message.
- To the left of the open messenger screen you have a choice of sending a sticker or a GIF.
- Top on the one you wish to browse.
- In the search bar, type in hug and scroll through the choices until you find the one you want.
- Tap on the hug sticker or GIF you wish to use.
- Your virtual hug will automatically be sent to the person.
Method Three: How to Send a Virtual Hug on Facebook Post
When someone makes a Facebook post, you can offer love and a hug at the same time. There are two ways to give a virtual hug to someone via their post. The first is an emoji hug, and the second is with a GIF.
- Log in your Facebook account.
- Click or tap on the post you wish to leave the emoji hug.
- Underneath the post is the thumbs up symbol with the word Like beside it.
- Hover over this icon with your mouse or if using a cellphone or touchscreen press and hold your finger over the icon.
- The choices of emojis pop up in the display and you want to choose the emoji face hugging a heart to its chest.
- Either click or tap on this emoji to leave it as your choice of Like.
GIF virtual hug for Facebook post:
- In the comment bar, move over to the right and choose the GIF icon.
- A screen will pop up with a search bar at the top.
- Type in the word, hug.
- You can use the vertical scroll bar on the right side to browse through the GIFs. If you prefer, you can simply use your finger to scroll through. (Be careful not to accidentally add the wrong GIF and have to delete it.)
- When you find the GIF you wish to use, just tap on it and it will automatically be posted.
Sticker virtual hug for Facebook post:
- In the comment bar, move over to the right and choose the sticker icon.
- A screen will pop up with a search bar at the top.
- Type the word, hug.
- You can use the vertical scroll bar on the right side to browse through the stickers.
- At the top of the pop-up window, you will see several characters with a scroll arrow to the right of them. You can use this to select different animal and other characters.
- Choose the one you want by clicking/tapping on it.
- The sticker will appear as a comment on the post.
If you've never used stickers, these steps will add them to your sticker library:
- Click/tap on the circle with a plus sign located to the right of the arrow.
- This will pull up the sticker store featuring groups of free stickers.
- You can preview the group of stickers and if you wish to add to your library, then click Free. The stickers are automatically added to your library. The group icon will appear in the top bar.
- In the top search bar, type the word, hug, and all the hug stickers for your groups will appear with a vertical scroll bar on the right side.
- Click/tap on the sticker you want, and it will send it as a comment to the post.
Method Four: How to Send a Virtual Hug eCard
An eCard is still a fast way to get your hug message to someone who is grieving. You can find various eCards, some free, some requiring an annual membership through various companies, such as Hallmark Cards, Blue Mountain, and American Greetings. You can personalize these with the message you desire and send to the person's email.
- Log in or create a free account.
- In the search bar, type in hug.
- Select the ideal card.
- Click/tap personalize card.
- Customize the card with a personal message.
- Enter the person's email address.
- Click/tap any available options, such as notifications when the card is sent and/or viewed by the person.
- Click/tap send.
Method Five: How to Send a Virtual Hug on Twitter
You can leave a virtual hug on a twitter post. This is very similar to Facebook options of a GIF or emoji.
- Choose the post you wish to leave a virtual hug.
- Click on the comment icon underneath the post located on the far left.
- The GIF icon is the second from the left.
- The emoji Icon is the second from the right.
- Click/tap on the GIF or emoji.
- Type in the upper search bar the word, hug.
- Use the right vertical scroll bar to browse your choices
- Click/tap on the GIF or emoji you wish to use.
- The GIF or emoji will appear above the comment bar.
- You can type in a message or leave it blank.
- Click/tap the Reply button located in the lower righthand corner.
- Your hug GIF or emoji now appears as a comment to the twitter post.
Method Six: How to Send a Virtual Hug on an App
Some of the available Apps have a hug feature. You can choose a dedicated app like I Need Hugs to send a GIF hug.
- Just download the app from Google Store.
- Open the App.
- Scroll through the available GIFS.
- Decide which GIF you wish to send via Facebook messenger, Instagram, Facebook wall, Twitter, text message, email, and other communication venues.
- Select the person you want to hug.
- Click/tap send for your virtual hug to be delivered.
Method Seven: How to Send a Virtual Hug With a Meme
You can send a hug with a meme. You can use any of great virtual hug memes. You can post or forward to your preferred social media or send in a text message on you cellphone.
- Choose the meme you wish to send.
- Click forward on your laptop app, tablet, or cellphone.
- Select the person from your cellphone contact list, Facebook friend list, or search for those you follow on Twitter.
- You can send the meme directly to the person.
How to Give a Virtual Hug to Let Someone Know You Care
There are many ways you can give a virtual hug to let someone know you are thinking of them. A virtual hug is a fast and easy way to connect with someone needing your comfort and demonstration of love.