Losing your grandfather is hard, no matter what age you are at the time he passes away. Being asked to deliver the eulogy at his funeral is a high honor. If you're struggling to figure out what to say, review this sample eulogy for inspiration.
Example Eulogy for a Grandfather
What can I say about my grandfather? My name is [insert name] and I wouldn't be the person I am today without him. The fact that he's not with us anymore breaks my heart, but the fact that he taught me - and our entire family - what it means to really love someone will help me heal and go on. From the time I was very young, I worshipped my grandfather. While I may not always have shown it, I always looked up to him. From the time I was very small, I knew that he was the ideal example of what a family man should be. Not only was he the leader of our family, he was an incredible human being who left his mark on everyone he met. When I look out today, not only do I see my family, I see so many friends, coworkers, neighbors, and others who are also mourning the loss of this great man.
I want to tell you what kind of person my grandfather really was.
- He loved his family. [Insert a few examples or stories to illustrate this point.]
- He was passionate about [insert cause/hobby/etc.] [Insert a few examples or stories that convey his passion.]
- He had a great [insert something like "sense of humor," "golf game," "career as a _________"]. [Extrapolate with a few examples or stories.]
He was all of those things, and so much more. While I may not know what my future - or the future of our family - looks like without grandpa, I know that I'm a better person because I was loved by him. I only hope that I can live up to the example of love, strength, character, and integrity that he set for all of us. While he's no longer here to say that he's proud of me, I carry his strength in my heart. The kindest compliment I hope to hear someday is "your grandfather would be proud."
Thank you so much for joining my family in celebrating the life of [insert grandpa's name], a man I'm so proud to call my grandfather. I'd like to leave you with these final words. [Insert a meaningful poem, quote, or bible verse].
Preparing to Write Your Grandfather's Eulogy
While sample eulogy speeches can be a good source of inspiration, your grandfather's life is unique. Use as much of the example speech as you like, but be sure that you're truly celebrating his life by crafting a heartfelt eulogy that honors his memory and the one-of-a-kind mark he left on the world. Before you start writing, spend some time reflecting on your relationship with your grandfather, as well as his impact on the family as a whole.
To get started:
- Consider the impact your grandfather had on making you the person you are today.
- Reflect on your fondest memories of spending time with your grandfather.
- Ask your parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and siblings to share their favorite stories about grandpa.
- Make a list of your grandfather's passions, such as hobbies, volunteer work, causes, memberships, etc.
- Do a freewriting exercise, during which you spend 5 minutes writing down any words that come to mind when you think about your grandfather.
As you complete these activities, you're sure to experience quite a few strong emotions - from love and joy to sadness and grief. You'll also develop a clear idea of what needs to be included in your grandfather's eulogy. As a result, you'll know exactly what to say when delivering the eulogy.
Pay Tribute to Your Grandfather
Honoring your grandfather with a heartwarming funeral speech is a wonderful way to celebrate his life after he passes away. Even if you find public speaking to be stressful, chances are that you'll ultimately be glad you agreed to prepare and present brief remarks at his funeral.