There are a few easy ways that you can secure flowers in a cemetery vase. You can choose one depending if it is to be placed on the ground or attached to a headstone.
How to Secure Flowers in a Cemetery Vase
Some people opt for florist Styrofoam for floral arrangements. The foam is secured by special tape and prevents the flowers from being lifted away by the wind.
How to Keep Cemetery Flowers From Blowing Away
There are a couple of ways you can prevent a flower arrangement from being blown away by the wind. You can explore these methods to determine the best solution for your situation.
Cemetery Brick Flowers
While a cemetery brick isn't an actual brick, it is designed to be heavy like a brick and is a rectangle-shaped type of vase. Most cemetery bricks weigh between 5 lbs to 9 lbs. You can place a cemetery brick, often called a monument brick, on the ground beside the grave marker or in front of the gravestone or grave monument. The weight of the brick will prevent the flower arrangement from being blown over by the wind.
Stay in the Vase Cemetery Flowers
The product Stay-In-The-Vase® is a type of flower holder design. The holder device is made to fit most cemetery vases with a diameter from 2.5" to 3.5".
Flowers Cemetery Vase Insert
The device is constructed, so it is wider than these vases. It features lateral prongs that bend upward to secure the flower bouquet into the vase. You insert the bouquet into the top of the device and then push the device to the bottom of the vase. Once the device is inserted and positioned inside the vase, it isn't visible outside the vase. The manufacturer ensures that your flowers won't lift out of the vase even in terrible winds."
Headstone Flower Anchor
A headstone Flower Anchor is used to keep what's known as saddle arrangements from blowing off the headstone. A saddle flower arrangement fits over the top of an upright headstone, much the same way a saddle fits over the back of a horse.
How a Headstone Flower Anchor Works
The Flower Anchor system is simple. It is attached to a headstone with a special tape that has a high-bonding property designed to be used with stone or other masonry headstone.
Clip to Metal Saddle
The headstone Flower Anchor™ has a wire loop that is thin but is an aircraft grade wire. There is a clip attached to the other end of the wire. The flower anchor clip is typically used to clip onto the metal saddle, often used in a saddle floral arrangement that drapes over the top of a headstone. This tethers the flower arrangement to the headstone and prevents it from being blown off.
How to Keep Cemetery Flowers From Being Stolen
In addition to the headstone Flower Anchor™ preventing a saddle flower arrangement from being blown off the headstone, would-be thieves will find it difficult to grab the arrangement and run away with it since the anchor is hidden underneath the arrangement. Unless thieves know how the arrangement is secured, they won't take time to figure out what is preventing the arrangement from being removed.
Flower Anchor for Anti-Theft Cemetery Vases
You can also attach a flower vase to a headstone Flower Anchor™ to better secure it. This may offer a good anti-theft solution for an expensive metal urn. Metal urns are attractive to thieves who are seeking items to turn in as scrap metal.
ForeverSafe Cemetery Vase Theft Solution
ForeverSafe™ Products designs an anti-theft cemetery vase and urn that are made of a high-quality plastic that imitate the look of metal and stone, such as granite. These products feature a self-stake that can be used to secure the vase or urn into the ground and prevent it from being blown over. Since cemetery thieves have no use for a plastic vase, your flower arrangements should be safe, unless a cemetery is plagued by vandals.
DIY Way to Install a Cemetery Vase on a Headstone
You may decide to secure a cemetery vase to a headstone with an epoxy or adhesive glue. You will first need to identify the material that the headstone is made of and the type of epoxy or adhesive that won't harm that material. Once you ascertain the best epoxy or adhesive, you can follow a few quick steps to secure the cemetery flower vase to the headstone or marker.
- Clean headstone surface where you wish to place the vase.
- Use dishwashing liquid and water to clean the area you wish to attach the vase.
- Rinse area with clean water and use a soft dry cloth or towel to dry area.
- Position the vase to make sure it is where you wish to glue it.
- Mark the spot with a waterproof marker or piece of tape.
- Choose an adhesive that is correct for the material of the marker, such as granite epoxy.
- Apply the epoxy to the bottom of the vase base. Don't over apply. Use only what is needed to cover the vase base. It helps to apply moving from the outside of the base to the middle to prevent over applying.
- Place upright with the drain hole pointed away from the headstone.
- Install the vase in the area marked on the headstone or marker.
- Firmly press the vase onto the headstone/marker to ensure an even distribution of the epoxy.
- Remove excess epoxy with damp cloth or paper towel.
- Use tape to secure the vase to the headstone/marker for a 24-hour period.
- Once 24 hours has passed, carefully peel away the tape.
- Remove any epoxy that spread out from the base with a putty knife or razor blade.
Finding Ways to Secure Flowers in a Cemetery Vase
There are several methods to consider for securing a cemetery vase to a headstone or marker. You may use a commercial product or try a DIY method.