If you are wondering how do I find out if someone died, there are many simple and free ways to go about confirming their passing. When it comes to verifying a recent death, you have many options to consider as you begin your search.
How Do I Find Out if Someone Died?
While many search options for confirming or denying an individual's passing may appear to be free, some actually have hidden fees. Others may only confirm a death weeks to a month after a passing, which is not helpful if you need to find out if someone has died recently.
Can I Find Out if Someone Died Recently?
If you would like to find out if someone has passed away recently, it's important to keep in mind that:
Check Social Media
Social media is a great first step when searching to see if someone has recently passed away. On social media, be sure to check:
- The individual's accounts first to see if any relative took over and wrote that they have passed away, or if their accounts have been shut down. Be sure you check more than one social media account to verify your findings.
- Check the pages or accounts of loved ones and close friends to see if they have posted anything regarding a recent loss.
- Check the accounts and pages of immediate family members who may mention an upcoming memorial service or funeral service.
Check Local Newspaper
The local newspaper may have a death announcement, obituary, and/or memorial service announcement printed in it. You may also consider checking their website as well if they offer online news to see if anything is listed regarding recent deaths.
Confirm Passing With Relatives
If you have a relationship with any of the individual's relatives, you may consider reaching out and asking them if this specific person has passed away. When doing so:
- Use a polite and respectful tone
- Ask them if they would mind sharing if (insert individual's name) has passed away
- Respect their privacy and don't ask further questions regarding the details around the death
- Offer your condolences and thank them for letting you know
Check Online Obituaries
Check local online obituaries to see if anything has been listed regarding their passing. You can do so by:
- Typing in "obituaries" followed by "in", then add their home town
- Typing in "obituary", followed by "of", then add their name and home town
Check Out the Local News
If their passing was unusual due to the circumstances, it may be on the local news. Watch the news to see if they mention anything regarding the passing. The local news station may have a website that notes the passing as well.
Visit House of Worship's Website
If this particular individual was active in a certain religion and you know the house of worship they frequented, you can:
- Check out their website to see if they have listed any recent passings
- Send an email to someone who works at the house of worship to see if they can inform you of the passing, but know that they may not be able to release this information
- See if they have an email list you can join to see if there are any updates regarding any members- birthdays, births, marriages, and deaths may be included
Do a Simple Search
Do a quick online search by:
- Typing in the individual's full legal name, if possible, followed by "death"
- Typing in the individual's full legal name, if possible, followed by "obituary"
- Typing in the individual's full legal name, if possible, followed by "died from"
How to Confirm Death of a Person?
When confirming the death of a person, be sure to:
- Be respectful when speaking with relatives or other loved ones on social media
- Be kind when asking someone in person if they know about the passing
- Don't inquire why they passed away
- Offer your condolences
How Do You Find Out if a Person Has Died?
If you would like to find out if someone has passed away recently, there are several routes you can take to obtain that information. If you do end up connecting with a relative and/or loved one of the individual, be extra respectful when asking if they've passed away.