When it comes to selecting an outdoor urn fountain, there is a wide variety from which to choose. Urn fountains are becoming more popular in gardens, on patios and in sanctuaries of remembrance.
What is an Outdoor Urn Fountain?
The 1819 poem, Ode on a Grecian Urn, by John Keats, might be the first thing that comes to mind when the word urn is mentioned. Urns are also used for the cremated ashes, or remains, of loved ones. When the ashes are sealed inside the urn, the urn can be buried in a [[Images_Arlington_National_Cemetery|cemetery]]. Some choose not to bury the urn and may have it on a shelf or mantle inside the home.
An outdoor urn fountain is an ornate urn made of stone, clay or resin, and used for gently flowing water. There is often an electrical pump which circulates the water. These fountains can be placed in the garden in memory of someone who has died. The urn fountain can be near a favorite tree, bush, or flowers. It may also accompany other stone pieces such as angels or memorial statutes or crosses. Lights or wind chimes are additions preferred by many since they, too, provide an atmosphere of calm.
The Beauty of an Urn Fountain
There are many reasons for having an urn fountain as part of the outdoor decor in memory of a loved one. Some of these include:
- Soothing flow of water
- Provides a place of reflection
Types of Urn Fountains
While gurgling urn fountains can be displayed on tabletops in sun rooms and on screened decks, urns made for outside use are sturdier and water resistant. Some urns will say that they can be enjoyed both indoors and outdoors. Before selecting a fountain, make sure your purchase can be used in the location you desire. Some of the outdoor urn fountains available on the market today include:
- Antique Planter Musical Fountain - Sold at Target, this hand-painted fountain, in the shape of an urn made of resin, flows with water and plays soft, nature sounds. It also lights up by a multi-colored LED. The cost is $120.
- Outdoor Fountain - This marble-looking urn about 26 inches tall and allows water to flow gently over the top of the inner wall. The soothing product is made of fiberglass and comes with a pump. It sells at Exterior Accents for $200.
- Brass Baron Classic Urn Fountain - Available at NexTag for just over $500, this elegant piece is made of brass and with a pump (not included), provides a relaxing addition to any garden.
- Ceramic Urn Fountain - Pebbles and stones conceal this fountain's pump at soil level. The basin collects the water and recirculates it again with a gentle flow. The ceramic urn is just over one foot tall and sells for $129 at Smith and Hawken.
- Angel Fountain - This winged angel stands at 27 inches and holds an urn from which water flows down her wings and into a basin. The figure is available for $200 at NexTag.
Urn Fountains Around the World
Urn fountains can be found in tranquil gardens around the world. Decorative hand-painted Mexican urns are often used in public places and in the courtyards of homes. Larger terracotta urns can be seen in quiet ponds and fountains in Greece and Italy.
An outdoor urn fountain is a wonderful addition to any garden, patio or special place. It provides a peaceful feeling amidst nature where one can go to reflect and remember the life of a precious loved one.