When shopping for a gift basket for loss of a pet, it's important to make sure the contents of the basket have real relevance to the pet that is being mourned. A generic gift basket filled with random trinkets will not have the same effect as a gift basket with lovingly selected items.
A Proper Condolence for a Lost Pet
The death of a pet can be a traumatic experience that may be compounded by owners who might not feel as though anyone else truly understands their grief. After all, people who have never experienced the pleasure of owning a pet may not realize the strong and emotional reaction from the loss of a pet. Sending a gift basket for loss of a pet lets the recipients know that the sender feels sympathy for the loss, but also that the sender recognizes the very valid grief the recipient feels.
A gift basket does not have to be elaborate or expensive as long as it is tasteful and well thought out. Purchasing a gift basket involves either buying a ready-made basket or buying all the contents separately and then fashioning it all together.
Find Pet Loss Gift Basket Online
Plenty of online stores that specialize in grief items for the loss of a pet also feature gift baskets that are ready-made. You supply the theme for the basket and the store designs the rest and sends it on its way. Some questions you may be asked when ordering a gift basket include:
- The kind of pet the basket is memorializing -- dog, cat, or other pet, as well as the breed
- The name of the pet
- The address of the recipients
- Any special items that would help further personalize the basket, such as hunting memorabilia for a hunting dog
There are a couple of companies that offer suitable gift baskets to commemorate a pet:
- Eternal Paw Prints sell gift baskets designed for the loss of cats and dogs in addition to other pets including rabbits. Basket prices range from relatively inexpensive to quite costly, depending upon the items included within the basket.
- Comfort Baskets, Inc. feature gift baskets specific to either cats or dogs and can also be further personalized to be sent to a man, woman, or child. This company also offers bundles as a less expensive alternative to baskets, allowing senders to send thoughtful gifts without the full expense of a gift basket.
There are other retailers available online. You may also be able to find a suitable gift basket at a local retailer by checking with pet stores and gift stores.
Create Your Own Pet Sympathy Gift Basket
Sometimes purchasing a ready-made gift basket does not seem appropriate. If you were personally close to the pet, or if every basket you look at just doesn't seem quite right, then buying an empty basket and filling it with items may be the best route. Items you may want to consider putting inside the basket include:
- Books about pets
- Stuffed animals
Resist the temptation to deliver a gift basket filled with bulky memorial items such as engraved plaques or garden stones. The grieving owners may not want these items but might feel obligated to display them since they received the items as gifts. A memorial plaque or other large item is best presented as a single gift, and only if you absolutely know that the gift is appropriate.
Local gift stores may be willing to put all the items you purchase together into a basket and decorate it tastefully for a nominal fee, even if you don't purchase the items at that particular store. If you aren't able to pull the basket and contents together in an attractive way then you may want to consider getting a little help so the finished product is as visually appealing as possible.