It's often difficult to find the right words of comfort when someone has suffered the loss of a friend or family member, but a scripture of sympathy from the Bible can help and may bring just the type of comfort that's needed. The Bible verses about the death of a family member below are all appropriate for cards, notes, and readings.
Sympathy Scriptures to Offer Comfort
When choosing Bible verses when someone dies, look for specific words of comfort for those in pain. Bible verses for sympathy cards or funeral readings should be chosen with care.
- Psalms 30:2 - O Lord my God, I called to you for help and you healed me.
- Psalms 46:1 - God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
- Psalms 62:1 - My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.
- Psalms 147:3 - He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
- Luke 6:21 - Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
- John 16:22 - So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you.
Bible Verses About God's Love
A reminder of God's love can help someone who is grieving. Choose one of these Bible verses for a sympathy card to show your loved one that he or she is not alone.
- Genesis 28:15 - I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go... I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.
- Psalms 48:14 - For this God is our God forever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end.
- 1 Peter 5:7 - Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 - Blessed be the God and Father... who comforts us in all our affliction...
- Isaiah 49:13 - For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.
- Psalms 73:26 - My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Grace and Compassion
When choosing Bible verses for funeral cards or readings, these are all good options. Remembering and experiencing God's grace can bring great comfort.
- Isaiah 58:11 - The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs... You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.
- Psalms 109:21-22 - But you, O Sovereign Lord, deal well with me for your name's sake; out of the goodness of your love, deliver me. For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.
- Psalms 116:5-6 - The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. The Lord protects the simple hearted; when I was in great need, he saved me.
- 1 Peter 5:10 - And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
- Hebrews 4:16 - Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
- Psalms 57:1-2 - Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed. I cry out to God Most High, to God, who vindicates me.
Sorrow and Sympathy for Loss of a Loved One
Bible verses for someone who has lost a loved one often address the sadness that is felt during the grieving process. The Bible has much to say about sorrow, which can provide comfort after loss.
- Psalms 72:12 - For he will deliver the needy who cry out, the afflicted who have no one to help.
- Psalms 119:50 - My comfort in my suffering is this: your promise preserves my life.
- Psalms 139:12 - Even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.
- Matthew 5:4 - Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- Matthew 11:28-30 - Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you... My yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
- John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
Bible Verses for Condolence and Reassurance
Turning to scripture when someone dies can be reassuring. The Bible offers many words of reassurance.
- Isaiah 41:10 - Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Isaiah 58:9 - Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
- Psalms 23:4 - Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Psalms 126:5-6 - Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:16 - Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way.
- Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Sympathy Bible Verses for Loss of a Mother
Bible verses can serve as a reminder of the duties of your mother and the gifts only she could bestow.
- Proverbs 31:28-29 - Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.
- Isaiah 66:13 - As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you.
- Corinthians 1:5 - For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.
- Psalm 23:7 - Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Psalm 116:15 - Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.
- Deuteronomy 31:8 - The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Scripture for Loss of a Father
The strength a father brings to his family in life and death are captured in these bible verses about dads.
- Lamentations 3:31-32 - For the Lord will not cast off forever, but... he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love; for he does not willingly afflict or grieve the children of men.
- Revelation 21:4 - He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.
- Psalms 9:9 - The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
- Psalms 136:26 - Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever.
- Genesis 3:19 - By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.
- Ecclesiastes 3:1-4 - There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die... a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance
Bible Verses for Loss of A Child
The loss of a child is one of the most difficult to work through, but these verses remind grieving parents their child is safe and loved.
- John 3:17 - For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
- Matthew 19:14 - Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.
- Romans 8:28 - All things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
- Psalms 34:18 - The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
- Psalms 18:28 - You Oh Lord keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.
- Psalms 61:2 - From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Writing Heartfelt Bible Verses of Sympathy
A blank card with a drawing or picture of a serene scene such as a sunset or mountain at dusk is appropriate to use for writing your heartfelt sentiments. Choose a card you think your friend would like. If you aren't sure, find a card that you like. Spend some time selecting the Bible verse you want to include in the message of your card. Add a personal note as well. Let your family member or friend know that you are sorry that she has had to experience the death of a close loved one. While the words from the Bible can be soothing to many, make sure you also show your bereaved friend comfort in other ways. Your compassion is a beautiful gift.