In the Judeo-Christian faiths, angel headstone pictures portray one of God's most sacred creatures. Found in basically every culture around the world, faithful believe that God created angels before humans as a means of glorifying Him. According to these beliefs, once man was created, angels became intermediaries, or messengers, between humans and God. When it comes to death and dying, angels are supposed to help lead those who have died to Heaven, hence having angels on or around headstones.
About an Angel's Pose
If you look at angels at the cemetery, you will find them in a variety of poses. Many of these poses have specific meanings:
- Weeping angel: Also known as the Angel of Grief, this pose shows an angel leaned over a pillar weeping for the one who has died.
- Angel dropping flowers: An angel who drops flowers or petals on a grave symbolizes the spreading of blessings.
- Winged angel: This angel represents one of God's messengers.
- Angel reaching up: An angel whose hand (or hands) is lifted up means the angel is pointing toward Heaven.
- Flying angel: This pose symbolizes resurrection or rebirth.
- Angel carrying a person: This represents the angel carrying the departed soul to Heaven; often used with a child's headstone.
- Group of angels on a cloud: This pose symbolizes Heaven.
Angel Headstone Pictures
Here are a few angel headstone pictures; some are modern, while others are centuries old.